Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Once Again

Happy New Year! I'm back in Gainesville and so glad about that. I love home, but after a while you start remember why you wanted to leave so badly. Even though I worked most of my break, I enjoyed it. It gave me just enough lead time to prepare for this semester. I am so focused and so ready. I've adjusted to UF; the environment, the expectations, the way of life as Gator. It's tough being here. It's a struggle financially and academically. But I guess that's the life of a Pre-Med student anywhere.
I remember during my orientation, I made a friend and we decided to register for classes together. We had the same schedule. Organic 1, Physics 1, Physics Lab, Introduction to Medicine, and I had Economics I think he chose a Dietetics class.
*Not to toot my own horn, but the Microbiology program at UF only accepts a certain amount of transfer students. There were maybe 9 students (including myself) who were accepted into the program.
Now, once classes started, this guy used to text me and call me every day regarding homework and quizzes and after about a month, he stopped. He stopped coming to lectures and labs as well. I didn't know what was going on so I texted him to see if he was okay.
He informed me that he was okay, he just dropped all of his classes and dropped out of the university and enrolled at UCF, a "less rigorous school closer to home".
I was speechless for a good 2mins. I didn't know how to respond to him or that remark.
Now, UCF is a very good university. I was relieved I didn't have to deal with him complaining about the course work, but I thought to myself how this 21 year old guy thought he was going to succeed in medical school if he is trying to take an easy way out.

The one think I have to admire about myself is the fact that I'm realistic and want the best of the best for not only myself, but those around me.
When things get hard, I test myself on how well I can handle that situation/environment. I push myself and make it through by doing the best I can. I have never dropped a course in my 3 years of college. Not once.

I'm getting off topic, but I just wanted to make it clear to those like my ex-classmate that, there is no easy way to becoming a doctor. Taking easy professors, at an easier university will not get you into medical school when you don't understand concepts you'll have to face when taking the MCAT. Not to mention the complex concepts you'll have to master IN medical school.

Suck it up. WORK for what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment